How do you go about getting started on phase 1 of the South Beach Diet? Here are the steps and information you need to be successful.
1) Learn All About ItIt’s great to be able to find free South Beach Diet information here and other places on the Internet. But there’s really no substitute for reading the original books by author Arthur Agatston, MD. Before embarking on any diet, it’s important to know what you’re getting yourself into over the long haul and to thoroughly understand the reasons for the food choices you’ll be making. Here’s a list of all the South Beach Diet books with links that allow you to find the best online sale prices for each. Until you get your copy, check out the South Beach Diet resources on this site.
2) What To Eat on the South Beach DietThere are three phases to the South Beach Diet. Phase one is the most restrictive (no fruit, grains, starches, or alcohol) and lasts two weeks. After that, you’ll be able slowly add carbohydrate foods back into your diet. Here are the food lists that pertain to phase one of the South Beach Diet:
- Select meats, poultry and fish
- Select vegetables (same as those recommended for other low-carb diets)
- Select dairy products
- Beans and other legumes
- Nuts and seeds
- Fats and oils
- Condiments and sauces
- Sweet treats
3) Constructing Your MenusWhen starting out on a new way of eating, it's so important to plan your food ahead of time. This really cannot be emphasized enough. Plan at least a week’s worth of menus, and have food on-hand a few days ahead of time. Then you won’t be caught wondering what to eat.
- How To Make Menus for Phase One of the South Beach Diet – This article tells you how to tie all the food lists together to design a day’s worth of eating (includes sample menus).
- South Beach Diet Recipes
- Cooking Tips for the South Beach Diet
- Look ahead to How to Do Phase Two of the South Beach Diet
4) Take the PlungeThe first week of a new way of eating can be challenging. Know that there will be rough spots, especially as your body gets used to a new way of eating.
5) Get SupportThis could be the most important factor of all. Get support from family and friends, or even finding someone else to do the diet with, can help you stick with it.
We have a low-carb diets forum where you can ask questions, get support for the new steps you are taking, find help through the rough patches, and chat with people who have similar goals.
Want to keep up on low-carb diets? Subscribe to my free weekly newsletter.
Plan Ahead! After you finish the first week on the South Beach Diet, check out How To Do Phase Two of the South Beach Diet