- 2 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb. brown (crimini) mushrooms, chopped medium
- 3 medium stalks celery
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 1 Tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 cups diced celery root (celeriac) - about ½ inch dice or a little smaller
- 5 cups beef broth, see note below
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes or ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups chopped leftover beef
- 1 packet unflavored gelatin
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- chopped chives (optional)
Note on Beef Broth: I like to use Better than Bouillon for this, as I like the flavor and it is easy to adjust the salt content. Commercial beef broth varies a lot in quality. Some recipe authors advise using chicken broth, or mostly chicken broth, if you can't find a good-tasting beef broth.
1. Fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from pan and set aside to cool.
2. Cook onion in bacon drippings until soft and beginning to brown. Add mushrooms, and cook until the mushrooms have shrunk in size and lost most of their water. Add celery, and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
3. Make a space in the center of the pan, and add garlic. Cook until garlic is fragrant (don't let it brown). about one minute. Add tomato paste and stir well.
4. Add wine to pan and cook for a minute or two, stirring to get any browned bits off the bottom of the pan.
5. Add soy sauce, celery root, broth, pepper, pepper flakes, thyme, and bay leaves. Bring soup to a simmer and cook until celery root is tender, about 15 minutes.
6. Taste (carefully!), and adjust seasonings. Add the beef to the soup and bring the soup back up to a simmer for five minutes.
7. While soup is simmering, chop cooked bacon, and sprinkle geletin into half a cup of cold water.
8. Turn off heat, remove bay leaves from soup, stir in gelatin and parsley.
9. Serve with a garnish of chopped bacon, and, if desired, chopped chives.
Recipe yields about 10 one-cup servings.
Nutritional Information: Each serving has 7 grams effective carbohydrate plus 2 grams fiber, 16 grams protein, and 162 calories.