- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon Chinese Five Spice powder
- 1 lb. chicken, cut into ï¿½-inch strips
- 2 medium stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 Tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 6 oz. fresh shitake mushrooms, sliced into ½-inch strips
- 1 cup sliced green onion (scallions) - about 6 onions
- 4 cups sliced cabbage (½-inch strips)
- 8 oz. bean sprouts (mung beans are good, or any type intended for stir-frying)
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon oil (vegetable or olive)
1. Mix together marinade ingredients, add chicken, and mix to coat.
2. Prepare vegetables, and grate ginger and garlic so everything will be ready.
3. Heat large skillet on medium-high heat with vegetable or olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken, and stir-fry until just cooked through, probably 3 to 4 minutes depending upon how thick you cut the chicken. Remove chicken from pan.
4. Add the sesame oil, then the celery, ginger, and garlic. Saute for one minute.
5. Add the vegetables in the following order, stir-frying for 1 to 2 minutes after each addition: mushrooms, onions, cabbage, bean sprouts.
6. Add the soy sauce and the chicken. Toss to combine.
7. Serve with sugar-free plum sauce. If you like, use low-carb tortillas as wrappers.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information: Each serving has 10 grams effective carbohydrate plus 4 grams fiber, 31 grams protein, 8 grams fat and 284 calories.