Carbohydrate and Fiber Counts for Strawberries
- ½ cup sliced strawberries: 5 grams effective (net) carbohydrate plus 1.5 grams fiber and 26 calories.
- 1 large (1 3/8 inch in diameter) strawberry: 1 gram effective (net) carbohydrate plus .5 grams fiber and 6 calories.
Glycemic Index for StrawberriesOne study of strawberries had an average GI of 40.
Glycemic Load of Strawberries
- ½ cup of sliced strawberries: 1.5
1 large (1 3/8 inch diameter) strawberry: 0
Health Benefits of StrawberriesStrawberries are an excellent source of vitamin C and a very good source of manganese. They also contain relatively large amounts of phytonutrients, especially anthocyanins and others which may help protect our cells from damage. There is some evidence of reduction of cancer risk from strawberries. More About the Health Benefits of Berries, and Serving Suggestions
Low-Carb Recipes With Strawberries
- Low-Carb Strawberry Shortcake
- Strawberry Chicken Salad
- Strawberry Vinaigrette Salad Dressing
- Sugar-Free Strawberry Daiquiri
- Making Sugar-Free Jam
More Information About Strawberries at Calorie Count Plus.More Carb Profiles:
Leroux, MarcusFoster-Powell, Kaye, Holt, Susanna and Brand-Miller, Janette. "International table of glycemic index and glycemic load values: 2002." American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Vol. 76, No. 1, 5-56, (2002).
Seeram, NP. "Berry fruits for cancer prevention: current status and future prospects.." Journal of agricultural and food chemistry. 56(3):630-5. (2008).