Many leave the skin of the cucumber on, as it contains vitamins. But take note that the peel also contains carbs.
Carbohydrate and Fiber Counts for Cucumbers
- ½ cup sliced cucumber:with peel: 2 grams effective (net) carbohydrate and 8 calories; without peel: 1 gram carbohydrate and 7 calories
- 1 medium cucumber (about 8" long): with peel: 9 grams effective (net) carbohydrate plus 2 grams fiber and 45 calories; without peel: 4 grams effective (net) carbohydrate plus 2 grams fiber and 34 calories
- 4 oz cucumber (¼ lb.): 4 grams effective (net) carbohydrate plus .5 gram fiber and 17 calories; without peel: 2 grams effective (net) carbohydrate plus 1 gram fiber and 14 calories
Glycemic Index for CucumbersAs with most non-starchy vegetables, there is no scientific study of the glycemic index of cucumber.
Estimated Glycemic Load of Cucumbers
- ½ cup sliced cucumber: 1
- 1 medium cucumber( about 8" long): 3
- 4 oz cucumber (¼ lb.): 1
Health Benefits of CucumbersCucumbers with the peel are an excellent source of Vitamin K. The caffeic acid in cucumbers is said to soothe skin irritations and swelling.
Low-Carb Recipes with Cucumber
- Watermelon Salad with Cucumber and Mint
- Tzatziki with Mint - Cucumber Yogurt Sauce or Side Dish
- Cold Cucumber Melon Soup
More Information About Cucumber at Calorie Count.More Carb Profiles:
Leroux, MarcusFoster-Powell, Kaye, Holt, Susanna and Brand-Miller, Janette. "International table of glycemic index and glycemic load values: 2002." American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Vol. 76, No. 1, 5-56, (2002).