1. Health

Laura Dolson

My Visit to the Endocrinoloist

By July 22, 2012

doctorI don't usually talk too much about my own health journey, but once in awhile I think it's helpful to share what the effects of being on a long-term low-carb diet have been for me, both the positives and the disappointments.

Recently, I had an interesting experience chatting with an endocrinologist. I ended up in his office because my health insurance had abruptly switched me to a new primary care physician. I had been taking a medication (Victoza) to try to lower my fasting blood glucose, which had been stubbornly in the prediabetic range for quite a few years. (Edited to add: My former doctor felt strongly that a low-carb diet is what has been keeping me from progressing to diabetes.) My new doctor was skeptical about the wisdom of this medication, and referred me to the endocrinologist. I spent about 40 minutes talking with him. I didn't believe everything he said, but then again, there were some things he said that I would like to believe (and that I think, to be fair, have validity).

My blood lipids are what you would expect in a person following a low-carb way of eating:
  • Triglycerides: 62 (normal is under 150, but people who are eating a truly low-carb diet are almost always under 100)
  • LDL Cholesterol: 105 (normal)
  • HDL Cholesterol: 82 (very good)
My blood pressure is normal without medication (systolic usually between 115 and 125, diastolic around 75-80). HA1C is 5.6 with medication, 5.9 without. I am obese, and the Victoza was associated with a weight loss of two (2) additional pounds beyond the amount I lost and have kept off for about 10 years (about 5% of my pre-low-carb body weight). The questions before the endocrinologist: were these reductions worth the side effects of Victoza (for me, hair loss has been the primary one) and potential complications? And what else would he recommend that I do?

I started out by telling him that my goal is to hold on to every beta cell I possibly can. He promptly responded that there is "zero" I can do about that (this, by the way, I don't believe). He also said that in my case he didn't think the results from the Victoza are worth the risks of the possible complications. He said that weight loss could help, and I said I am open to that, but that I pretty much am eating the least I can without chronic hunger. He agreed that I probably would "have to be willing to be hungry for the rest of my life" to sustain further weight loss.

Was that worth it? He made a case that it wasn't. He said that my profile is very low-risk for heart disease, and that probably if I'm relatively fit my obesity is not raising my risk. He went through my health parameters one by one emphasizing how great they are - he was clearly trying to convince me that I'm doing really well, despite the prediabetes. We agreed that I would increase my exercise in amount and intensity (from 30-45 minutes 4 or 5 days per week to 45-60 minutes 6 or 7 days per week, and pushing myself more). He told me to stay away from carbs -- I told him "not a problem, I eat low-carb". ;-) He was glad to hear that, and I told him that my job was teaching people to eat low-carb, and he thought that was great.

I have already noticed that the bump up in exercise seems to be having a mildly positive effect on my fasting blood sugar, but I'm not sure how it compares to the Victoza. Too early to tell.

The doctor also said that when the patients he sees have problems due to blood sugar, they usually have been letting it run amok for quite some time without their paying attention, and that "that will not happen to you". I agreed that it most certainly will not! He said he didn't see any reason to see me again.

Reflections: I do think there is evidence that we can slow down or stop the progression along the diabetes spectrum by paying attention to blood glucose, so I don't agree with the endocrinologist there. I also think that statistically I am at a low risk of both a) complications from blood glucose, and b) heart disease, and that the reason those risk factors are so good is due to low-carb eating. I am continuing to look for ways to lower my blood glucose into a true normal range (at least under 90 for fasting). Right now, in addition to increasing exercise, I am beginning to track my blood ketones (ala Jimmy Moore) and to see what I can do to tweak things. One thing I know for sure from doing this so far -- an hour in the pool (laps and pool exercises) does more than any exercise I've tried so far to improve blood glucose and increase ketones.

I think that sharing our progress (or lack thereof) along the way is an important part of our journey to health, so I hope that my story can be part of this larger conversation.

Photo © Dale Hogan

Related Resources:
Forum | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter & RSS
Comments
July 23, 2012 at 12:23 am
(1) Steve Parker, M.D. says:

Thanks for sharing your story, Laura.

That’s a lot of time working out! I’ve been reading lately about strength training being good for counteracting insulin resistance. (Most overweight or obese folks with T2 diabetes or prediabetes have insulin resistance.) If I were fighting prediabetes, I’d be sure to do adequate strength training along with my “cardio.”

-Steve

July 23, 2012 at 9:34 am
(2) Christine says:

Ditto on the weight training. I have noticed a vast difference in my BS since I started weight training ala Dr. Bernstein. The only problem I am having is finding an endocrinologist, or even a physician in the Dallas Fort Worth area that actually adheres to low carb.

July 23, 2012 at 10:12 am
(3) lowcarbdiets says:

Thanks Steve and Chistine -

I’ve done exercise with weights off and on, but I actually think that one of the reasons my pool workouts seem to be so effective is that there is a resistive component, using the water as resistance through the range. You can get these styrofoam “dumbells” (I use the largest ones for more resistance) and do various strengthening exercises. I am definitely stronger since I’ve been doing this. Plus I can do movements in the water that are basically impossible on land, and I can definitely tell the results from those exercises (mostly trunk). I really should start lifting weights again, though — you are right about that. Some “slow burn” would definitely be good.

Thanks again -

Laura

July 23, 2012 at 1:51 pm
(4) Jan says:

I too am obese and have had a higher than normal blood sugar, normally around 120 fasting, despite a very low carb diet (not more than 40 carbs per day). I thought that it would be that way forever. Then, one day, I was helping a friend weed a very neglected garden. I worked for about 3 hours in the heat and only stopped once I came close to blacking out (needless to say, I don’t recommend this). I went home and showered and stayed in the cool. I was more than exhausted. That night my blood sugar was around 90 for the first time since I’d started monitoring it (about 2 years). I wasn’t too surprised, I had really over done the exercise. But, in the days that followed, it stayed there. Now it fluctuates between 90 and 110. I don’t know if my “excessive” exercise day had anything to do with this, but it’s without a doubt, interesting.

July 24, 2012 at 12:11 am
(5) lowcarbdiets says:

Jan this is fascinating! It seems that you have given your system a kick somehow! Very very interesting! I have no insight, but thanks for sharing!

July 23, 2012 at 2:01 pm
(6) susan says:

I don’t have time to look this up but I went to an endo (actually 2 of them). I’m a long term low-carber and I’m not really overweight – 5’5″ – 135 lbs. 56-yo-woman. My fasting glucose is kind of high – 98 – 102, and my H1bac was also not that low (don’t remember exactly – maybe 6.2?) but I took my blood sugar for 2 weeks and it never went above 120 at any time after meals – 1/2 hour, 1 hour, 2 hours. One endo gave me another test and she said I have dawn syndrome – high glucose in the morning – but the other test said conclusively that I am not pre-diabetic.

July 23, 2012 at 4:28 pm
(7) Mary Anderson says:

I do think the key is the intensity of exercise. I am glad you have noticed a difference all ready from more exercise. I have been overweight most of myt adult life; tried every diet known. I was walking for exercise, weight lifting and used a trainer. Lost hardly any weight, even though watching calories. In March, I started Zumba classes; they are WAY FUN! I am oldest person there (tho not the heaviest). I monitor my heart reate; it has improved dramatically since starting. I am exhausted and dripping by the the hour is done. I have also lost 12 pounds – I think because mostly Zumba, but 2 months ago I switched to Low Carb Dieting. It is finally working. I should have taken my measurements, as my clothes are showing much more loss than the 12 lbs. I feel fitter, more alert and I love going to class. The intesity is what has helped. I still wal and, use a treadmill, (3-4 xs a week) and lift weights (but only about twice a week). Something is finally clicking with my body. Keep up the good work and keep up the INTENSITY! Thanks for alll your good info!

July 23, 2012 at 4:36 pm
(8) Karen Bell says:

Kaiser HMO doctors and endocrinologists said they are now not going to push the high protein, even after gastric bypass. They want to go with the government recommendation for Meditteranean diet (for all people) without individualizing for our needs. I was so shocked because I lost 100 pounds from high protein after my RnY. I am so angry with them!!

July 23, 2012 at 4:43 pm
(9) Cheryl Atkins says:

Hello Laura..
I’ve been following this site for a few months and am confused about one thing in your article. I hope you won’t be offended as I don’t mean to do so. I apologize in advance if you are. If you have been following a good low carb diet for so long why are you obese? I recently embarked on a low carb plan (recommended by my holistic doc) for the sole purpose of losing weight and find this discouraging. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
Thank you for your time and for providing such good, sound information to your readers. I look forward to hearing from you.
Cheryl

July 24, 2012 at 12:13 am
(10) lowcarbdiets says:

Cheryl, not only am I NOT offended, I think it’s a very important question. I actually have a lot to say about this, and will make it the subject of my next blog — or maybe even a series of blogs!

July 23, 2012 at 5:45 pm
(11) MeMe says:

I am wondering the same thing that Cheryl is. As I was reading this …I begin to wonder if the low carb diet is going to work for me…if it hasnt worked for you after all these years.

July 23, 2012 at 6:09 pm
(12) JoAnn says:

Hi Laura

Thank you so much for sharing your visit with your endo. I know from experience that a low carb diet and exercise work. And I agree with you about the water exercise which I love also and is a good workout. The only advise I ever got from my doc was exercise and to take my meds. But like you I want to save my body from harmful side effects from meds. Although I know everyone’s body works differently this just proves what I’ve always thought all along. But the hard part is being disciplined to always eating a low carb diet and exercising hard and regularly. Thank you for being a good role model and giving me the inspiration to not give up and thank you for your site in helping me find ways to eat low carb!

July 23, 2012 at 6:28 pm
(13) Debby says:

Your transparentacy was a refreshing change from “just the facts,” and I learned something about a valuable voice who has given us so much good
quality education on the Low carb lifestyle.
Do you find that extra physicality increases or decreases your appitite? Also do you find it contributes to better sleep?

July 23, 2012 at 6:41 pm
(14) Robin says:

Clearly you are on the right track with your WOE and your exercise, your numbers are great. Two comments: what with our recent power outages and other outages (trees falling on wires will do that) in the DC area, I found it difficult to maintain the exercise routine I started when I was diagnosed DM-T2 two years ago. As a result, I lost three pounds! Just an observation, I don’t know what it means, because I was certainly eating normally.

Second: regarding your fasting BG numbers. My A1c has been 5.5 for about a year now, and for most of the day (and always at night, if I wake up and take it) my BGs are good, in the 70 to 120 range depending on when I last ate, and what I last ate. But my morning BGs always rise from the time I wake up, usually to over 130 and often to the 150s, before I start eating. Seems my alpha cells are doing just fine, but my beta cells can’t keep up with them. I’ve tried everything to make this reverse, but it’s just the way it is – some sort of dawn phenomenon, although at dawn I’m right where I want to be, around 80-85.

None of my doctors know as much about this as you or I (sadly) so their lack of concern isn’t really reassuring, and I sure would like to stop the wild fluctuations. If you ever hear of something that works – let me know!!

BTW I am maintaining at about 40-50g of carbs a day, taking 5mg glipizide a day, so I pretty much nibble all day long to keep my BG from going too low in the afternoon.

Thanks for your columns, they’re the best.

July 23, 2012 at 7:09 pm
(15) Jeff Gerber MD - Denver's Diet Doctor says:

Laura – GLP-1 analogs, like Victoza, Byetta and Bydureon have been shown to preserve beta cell function and to help with ongoing weight loss. I agree with you, two good reasons to stay on the medication. GLP-1 sensitizes insulin receptors by creating a higher pharmacologic dosage of GLP-1 or Incretin. I have been safely using these types of medications since 2005, never a case of pancreatitis, ademnomas or cancers. I wonder if switching to Bydureon might get the weight loss going? Measuing blood ketones along with a LCHF diet might prove useful. Best of luck – Jeff Gerber MD

July 23, 2012 at 7:25 pm
(16) Jan says:

Hi Laura,
I want to tell you about a new way of eating that my Type 1 daughter has just begun with fabulous results. Maybe you would be interested too? She is not only eating low-carb, but a diabetic alkaline diet that in a little under three weeks has allowed her to drop her humalog insulin all together, with the result of only having to take 1 shot instead of 2. She has also lost 10 lbs, is sleeping better, and wakes up much more alert and happy. The diet was developed by a Mom with two type 1 sons. I don’t have any financial interest in sharing this info; I’m just one excited and thankful Mom! You can check out the website at http://www.healthesolutions.com While I think it is more specifically geared toward T1 diabetics, maybe it would be of interest to you as well?

July 23, 2012 at 8:33 pm
(17) TeeDee says:

I don’t know much about the alkaline diet, but Robert O. Young, an outspoken advocate of it, has gotten into some hot water in the past. Actually, as recently as 2010, he was embarrassed by the death of Kim Tinkham from cancer after having declared that her cancer had ‘disappeared by all medical means’. He’s also been charged with fraud a few times, so anyone looking into the whole alkaline diet needs to be very careful about getting all the facts.
Having said that, if it’s true that some children with type 1 diabetes have been able to reduce or avoid the use of insulin with this type of diet, then it certainly merits looking into for many people.
I know Laura is the type to look at all the SCIENTIFIC (and properly peer-reviewed) literature available, and not just ‘testimonials’ .

July 23, 2012 at 9:05 pm
(18) John says:

Laura, have you tried eliminating all sugar substitutes & sugar alcohols of any kind for a sustained period? The reason I ask is that Dr. Mark Hyman’s Blood Sugar Solution persuasively advocates the elimination of all such sweeteners (including stevia and xylitol) for successful blood sugar maintenance. Although I’ve successfully maintained a ketogenic diet for more than a year (which goes beyond Hyman’s overall diet), I found staying ketogenic without anything sweet except for berries to be so much easier and kept me back at my leanest! Just a suggestion. best, John

July 24, 2012 at 12:18 am
(19) lowcarbdiets says:

John, I haven’t done it for extended periods, but I haven’t seen a lot of science that I found persuasive, and in the short term (a week or so) I haven’t seen it make a difference in my blood sugar. I tend to like what Mark Hyman says, although I haven’t read his latest. I will definitely pick it up. Thanks.

July 23, 2012 at 9:21 pm
(20) Paulaj says:

Look into interval training. Dr. Al Sears, Dr. Mercola.

July 23, 2012 at 10:00 pm
(21) Gloria says:

I am working with an alternative therapist and we have been finding that some people are born with many fewer insulin islets and/or have some damage from vaccines (google vaccine damage and diabetes for more info).

Also we are finding that some people’s livers produce a higher level of glycogen than most normal people’s livers and I have been wondering if that is what might be causing the dawn phenomenon.

I did work on my husband (who has type 2 diabetes and is using insulin and metformin) since his glycogen production seemed to be excessive and hopefully is now more normal. His morning fasting levels have dropped from about 8.0 (average for June) to 6.9 (average for July) — We are in Canada so the units are different. Also his A1c has dropped to just 0.1 ABOVE the range of 6.5 and it has usually been above 7.5 for most lab reports in the past.

July 24, 2012 at 12:22 am
(22) lowcarbdiets says:

Gloria, I’m sure it’s something like that that is causing the dawn phenomenon. I’ve tried varying my diet in all kinds of ways (within low-carb of course) but no effect on the morning BGs.

On the bright(ish) side, it seems that prediabetes due to a higher fasting BG is a less likely to be associated with diabetes complications than prediabetes due to higher post-meal BGs. Not a big consolation, but still…

July 23, 2012 at 11:24 pm
(23) Cat says:

The main thing that I see missing from this conversation is the possibility of food allergies/sensitivities and/or Candida….both of which can keep the weight on.

July 23, 2012 at 11:35 pm
(24) susan says:

hi Laura:
thanks for your site and tips!!!

1) to LOSE wt when I was prediabetic, I did the HCG diet- loved it, had fun, lost all the weight… and now I use your site and tips to MAINTAIN my weight

2) REBOUNDER as a form of exercise ( used to be called trampoline) – you dont have to jump, just gentle up and down movement has 14 health benefits for blood sugar, blood pressure, lymphatic cleaning, etc etc

3) combining it with interval training, as someone mentioned

this 3 part combo is dynamite!

and thanks for helping me maintain my wt with your great info, and feeling of belonging to a community.
So important to feel that we are doing something even more fun than eating junk; when I feel deprived… I go to your site to feel that sense of community; thanks!!!!

July 24, 2012 at 12:15 am
(25) lowcarbdiets says:

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions and comments. I find it very moving — you are all so clearly coming from a caring place. Thank you SO much!

July 24, 2012 at 2:46 am
(26) Lena B says:

I am reading a book about high-intensity training: Body by Science. The authors claim that all you need to do is high-intensity training for 12 minutes a week to increase insulin sensitivity. Very convincing book.

July 24, 2012 at 5:09 am
(27) Diane Smith says:

Hi Laura,

I would just like to say that I agree with the others who have said to try and cut out the artificial sweeteners as I found that when using them I was craving carbs all the time, eating more and gaining weight.

I also cut out all dairy except for organic/grass fed cows butter as I have heard that dairy can stimulate insulin and appetite and also has a lot of hormones that can promote weight gain. I quit all soy products for the same reason.

I have also heard that adding coconut oil into your diet is very helpful for lowering blood sugar levels.

I think it is amazing that you have been low carbing for 17 years! Very inspiring! I also believe that even after all this time, you could still lose the extra weight and normalise your blood sugars with a bit of extra modification.

July 24, 2012 at 7:28 am
(28) Millie says:

I thought I was low carbing for years, but my weight slowly increased as did my blood sugar and blood pressure numbers. (that sugar free ice cream has lots of fat). Then my family doctor started himself and a group on the Transitions Weight Management plan. How was this different that what I was doing, it was low carb but also low fat, while eating all the allowable foods you wanted. So in the first month my BS and BP dropped to normal and while I’m insulin resistant and the weight loss is slower for me than many, the increased health is worth continuing eating this way forever. And the medical and pharmaceutical field keep lowering the BS and BP “normal” ranges and you don’t want my opinion on the reason for this (GREED by pushing medications. Also check out “Magnesium Miracle” it might be one answer to help improve these issues also.

July 24, 2012 at 10:58 am
(29) Mary Ann says:

Hard to understand how you can be hungry & obese on a true low-carb diet. I weighed 240 in July 2008 when I went on the low-carb diet & followed it religiously. By August of 2010 I weighed 122 (I’m 5’5″ tall). Since then I have maintained my weight loss with no problem. My current weight & average weight is 119. I walk 4 miles in one hour everymorning. Took several years to work up to that. Low-carb is my lifetime eating plan. Diabetes is rampant in my family & I was diagnosed witgh it in the ’90s, doctors now say I don’t have diabetes! Recoomend highly the works of the Doctors Eades, Barry Sears, Atkins & the science writer/researcher Gary Taubes. If you are hungry & obese you are eating too many carbs!

July 25, 2012 at 9:18 am
(30) Danyelle says:

Has anyone who is already low carb tried the fasting method? I know that studies are supposed to prove things but I wondered if anyone in the low carb world had a go? I mean the improvements of the 600kcal a day obese diabetics isn’t exactly news if they are in effect going low carb for the first time… Was it the Eades who said that every diet which actually works only works because it is effectively low carb? i.e. eat nothing and your not eat any carbs or eat only 100kcals a day and even if most were carbs it still is low carb compared with previous WOE…

The only way I have been able to curb my dawn phenomenon is by drinking alot of alcohol the night before. I know this is not recommended! But I was at a party one night after having very little to eat that particular day and the hosts were pushing the red wine out so fast that no one really knew how much they drunk. My sense of responsibility was low since the party was only next door and I didn’t have to drive or have far to get back home… Anyway the next day I took my blood sugars every hour for 8 hours because I was so surprised that they were absolutely properly “normal”. I googled the alcohol thing and found others suggesting that drinking alcohol late at night helps the dawn phenomenon, so I tried similar again and found the alcohol does result in lower sugars the day after. The theory is it keeps your liver busy so it can’t churn out the sugar so fast. Obviously drinking alcohol is not recommended at all, but what these experiments show I think is that this dawn phenomenon is a liver insulin sensitivity problem. I think we should be looking at ways to increase our livers’ sensitivity to insulin if we want to get normal morning results.

July 25, 2012 at 9:19 am
(31) Danyelle says:

It was Diane Kress who said (on Jimmy Moore I think) that eating first thing in the morning will shut down the liver from churning out the sugar. But I wonder whether the fasting approach would be better, instead of Diane Kress style micro-managing the blood sugar with a little carb every few hours? (e.g Diane Kress says eat a spoonful of peanut butter if you are up in the night – this is micro managing your blood sugar since you are drip feeding carb to stop your liver dumping).

Studies show that fasting, or extreme low cal, increases the liver’s insulin sensitivity, right?

Another thing, regarding intensity of exercise, has anyone measured sugars during and after intense exercise? I am currently avoiding exercise and strength training, apart from what my physio recommends, due to this problem with my hip which is improving and hopefully I will be able to do more in a couple of months time…. But when I measured my sugars after intense exercise they always high for me (8-9) and so I wonder about the benefit of increasing sugars by doing “cardio”.

Sorry this is rambling. Would appreciate a reply to this question:
-Has anyone who is a long-term low carber and who is also pre-diabetic obese, tried long or short term fasting or a one meal a day program for any length of time?

July 25, 2012 at 9:23 am
(32) Danyelle says:

@Mary Ann (comment 29) – my experience has been the same as Laura’s with regards to weight loss.
Yes I lost a substantial amount of weight initially.
Yes I have had significant improvement in my blood sugars.
But now my weight stays the same on the low carb plan.

So, my question to Mary Ann is what “true low carb” plan were/are you following? I wondering if it is low fat or not? Whether you eat fruit or not? Whether you eat wheat at all and how many grams of carb a day do you have?

Thank you!

July 25, 2012 at 12:13 pm
(33) robert says:

Good article. But I too am a bit confused. If a person is low carbing, which I’ve been trying to do, why are you considered obsese and have borderline diabetes? Early 2011 I was having heart issues and I thought oh god I’m going to have a heart attacked. After meeting with my cardiologist and going through over $7,000 worth of medical tests, she told me “everthing looks great BUT you have to lose weight” She told me and keeps telling me (that thought is in my mind everyday) it’s not what you eat it is how much you eat. She also stated “If you can eat all the natural, organic healthy foods but if you are consuming more calories than you are burning you will gain weight.” She does not put her patients on diets as she said “diet’s don’t work because people get discourged, it’s all portion control.” At first I was very skeptical. But it’s true. I watch my portions, and still eat carbs but dont’ over do it and my blood pressure has gone from a 150/99 to a healthy 128/81 and I’m still trying to get that lower. I’ve lost 17 lbs in less than a year and still working on more. So I suggest to people check in with your doctor if you don’t like what you hear go to another. -

July 26, 2012 at 10:55 am
(34) Cher says:

I have read that a new exercise program, HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is very beneficial for cardio, aerobic and metabolic benefits and it takes less time (per session). Both articles suggest talking with your doctor and building up to this high intensity exercise.

This WIKI article seems to give a pretty good explanation of this type of exercise.

And a SparkPeople article gives good information:

July 26, 2012 at 10:55 pm
(35) applerose says:

Sorry to hear you are having to still figure this all out. I,too, feel discouraged and hoping that sticking to low carb will fix a lot. Especially the weight loss. I stay away from artificial sweeteners and all fruit. I also limit my veggies so I can get the weigh off. I do cardio and weight training 4 to 5 times a week, two hours in the gym. My husband is doing the same and losing loads of weight…I’ve read that it can take me months before I see a drop…still hoping so far the scale is down 7 up 3 down 3 and staying the same for 7 weeks. We started our new lifestyle of eating on Father’s Day…back mid June of this year… we are following Atkins induction to be precise. I have been good about making sure I add olive oil or butter to my lean proteins as to speed up weight loss or fat burning. I am on a chase to watch for hidden carbs. All our proteins are coming organic from a local butcher. I will not take anything with preservatives, nitrates, etc and of couse no artificial sugars…just water and one cup of coffee in the morning for beverages…lots of water. I have been doing constant reading to learn all I can in the low carb arena. Please someone tell me that things will kick in…I have read that it can even take a year to see scale results for some. I have 40 pounds to lose. I am interested in what writer number 29 is following…samples of menus. My hubby is thrilled to see me work hard and stick so strickly, I have made up my mind that there is no other way. I crave carbs if I eat them so like a person who has a drug addiction I must stay clear. I do eat the lower carb cheeses for a snack and eggs every morning…I eat a very low amount of carbs. My lipids trigl etc are off the charts so I am hoping that my numbers go down. My sister died at my age (52) from a heart disease my dad had two bipass surgeries on is heart. Anyway, sorry for ramble but I am hoping someone can bring us some hope in this thread of comments.

July 27, 2012 at 2:33 pm
(36) Cheryl Atkins says:

Thank you Laura. I look forward to reading your future posts.

July 28, 2012 at 2:22 pm
(37) Cristina says:

I am wondering if low thyroid could be the reason for not being able to lose weight? I couldn’t get below 200# for a number of years. The thyroid tests said “normal”, but my symptoms were indicating low thyroid: Inability to lose weight, hair loss, fatigue, no lateral eyebrows (the outside 1/3 of the brow), and I was always cold. Sooo- my wonderful doctor put me on Armour Thyroid. after a couple of dose adjustments, I am still waiting for my eyebrows to grow in, but I am in the 190s & losing, and the other symptoms are releived. Just a thought.

July 29, 2013 at 1:00 pm
(38) www.youtube.com video emusic free trial says:

Good day! This post could not be written any better! Reading
through this post reminds me of my previous room mate!
He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this post
to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read.
Many thanks for sharing!

July 29, 2013 at 2:33 pm
(39) Reno42 says:

Hi,

I’ve been on Bydureon for 25 weeks. At 3 months, it had only brought my a1c down from 7.6 to 7.4. Ran into a co-worker that had lost weight , changed his health. I went Paleo, too and in less than 3 months, brought a1c to 6.0. Anytime I have a “cheat” meal with white carbs, my sugar jacks up over 200 for hours. I really don’t think Bydureon really works. I lost 7 lbs after going off of Actos, lost only 2 lbs on Bydureon. Lost 20 after going Paleo – blood sugar numbers normalized within a few meals. My stylist estimates that I’ve lost 20-30% of my hair since Bydureon. I will probably stop it after this round because of this. I am my dr’s first patient on this drug so he goes strictly by what was presented to FDA in trials. Of course, they aren’t going to mention that! Plus lumps and bruising at every injection site. I can count every shot I’ve taken by the lumps that have never gone away. I also go to exercise classes at the Y 4x a week. Suggest you give low carb or Paleo or Atkins a try. I take 1/2 glipizide at night and weekly Bydureon shot. I am also hypothyroid and on synthroid for almost 40 years. Most dr’s not open to dealing with diabetes without a bunch of medications. They also don’t want to hear about the side effects or tell you that you are wrong – what you experience isn’t what you experienced! :-) Good luck on your journey to a healthy life.