1. Health

Have you heard that fruit is not allowed on a low carb diet? Not true! In fact, some of the most nutritious fruits, and highest in antioxidants, are low in sugar and fine for those who are on reduced-carb diet plans.

Low Carb Fruit List

Photo by Stephanie Raines

Related Resources: Forum | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter & RSS
Comments
August 16, 2006 at 6:59 pm
(1) Fiona Plane says:

I hope you intend on correcting your low carb fruit list because low carb does not mean low sugar. You have listed rubarb as a yes fruit when in fact it is very high in carbs. You are wrong in your list apart from the berries and peaches.

August 24, 2006 at 4:17 pm
(2) lowcarbdiets says:

Sorry, but I disagree – digestible carbs are either sugar or starch. In the case of fruit, it’s almost all sugar.

USDA database info on rhubarb:

4 grams of digestible carbs per cup.

July 2, 2009 at 5:35 pm
(3) jenray says:

This list doesn’t seem right. You should recheck your sources.

May 26, 2010 at 11:05 am
(4) jake romero says:

Hey, if it taste sweet do not eat it,simple as that.

May 28, 2010 at 5:03 am
(5) alisha smith says:

can you tell me if lemons and limes are carb free

June 26, 2010 at 9:40 am
(6) Jason says:

Actually Fiona, she is right with rhubarb…. per cup, one of the lower carb options. 4.5g of carbs per cup, 1.8 of which is fiber, netting at 2.7g of digestible/net carbs per cup.

Strawberries, Blackberries, Raspberries, Limes and Olives are all around 5g of net carbs or less. (to alisha, lemons are slightly higher in the 6g per cup range…. however, if you’re just having a lemon/lime wedge in tea or something, this would be very minimal).

May 24, 2011 at 7:26 am
(7) Roger says:

Sorry to “necro-post” but this rhubarb lover only just came across the thread.

I have to sympathise with Fiona. While it is true that pure rhubarb is low in carbs, absolutely no-one serves it that way. It is so sour by itself, that all recipes add large amounts of sugar or honey. That’s how I came here: looking for a low-carb rhubarb recipe.

Well, they’re pretty hard to find. All the examples I have found so far either have slightly reduced (but still a lot!) sugar, or else simply substitute really large amounts of artificial sweetener for the sugar. And I don’t like artificial sweeteners.

But hooray, I’ve found the answer! The sourness of rhubarb is due to its organic acid content (malic acid, the same acid as in sour apples, but more of it; and oxalic acid, which is poisonous, but in the stalks is present only in non-lethal doses.) These acids are water soluble and so the sourness can be reduced by cutting the rhubarb finely then repeatedly soaking it in warm water, then draining away the water.

After about 5 soaks, plus or minus according to taste, the sourness is reduced to the point that it can be used in tasty desserts (and savoury chicken dishes, yum!) with no added sugar.

(Oh, and by the way, it isn’t a fruit.)

May 28, 2011 at 1:59 pm
(8) lowcarbdiets says:

Roger, thanks, this is a great trick to try, and I will do so!

I know rhubarb isn’t a fruit and that green beans and eggplant are fruits, but I opted to put things in the categories I thought would be most helpful.

June 14, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Strawberries ( cup) 23 5
Tangerine 37 9
Tomato (large) 26 6
Tomato Cherry 3 1

October 1, 2011 at 7:27 pm
(10) Bob says:

Rubarb may be low in carbs on its own but there is now way you are going to eat it without adding a sweetner. So if you are adding, honey, sugar, etc. the carb ticks UP.

January 12, 2012 at 10:59 am
(11) Esther says:

Hi, I am just trying to reduce my carbs, I dont follow any diet, what are the best fruits & vegetables to eat, thanks Esther

January 14, 2012 at 6:15 pm
(12) lowcarbdiets says:
May 17, 2012 at 5:23 am
(13) Kaye says:

With regard to rhubarb, it’s actually a vegetable, and can be used in savory cooking. However, it can be sweetened using stevia. I lightly stew it with ginger and a little stevia, and serve with a spoonful of cream cheese. At 2g carb per stalk, it’s a very enjoyable addition to my low-carb diet.

May 22, 2012 at 8:46 am
(14) breezy56 says:

I think that it is funny with all the talk about the Rhubarb. The writer did not say low carb fruit you cook with or add sugar too. She was saying Low carb fruit to eat, so the fact that people are saying you can add sugar to it is moot. The fruit by itself is low carb and icky, so don’t eat it if you don’t like it. When I read the list, I assumed it is fruit that is either picked off the plant/tree/etc or found in the grocery store. Thank you for creating this list.

November 17, 2012 at 5:42 am
(15) Krista says:

This list does not take me by suprise at all I think that its quite accurate as a personal trainer and fitness model I have some knowledge on nutrition and trying to give my clients some links to help them on their weight loss journey, I think your list will be very helpfull. Thank you.

January 27, 2013 at 4:01 pm
(16) Randy says:

Ummm a lot of these fruits you listed the American Diabetes Associtation says to stay away from. Also oranges? Really? Drink your orange juice Shelby!

January 29, 2014 at 4:10 pm
(17) moryce says:

:) )) its nothing wrong with carbs from fruits true its sugar but fructose. Sure dont have 3 kg a day. Everything in limitations.