How much weight I lost and how long it took
60lbs. Ten months and I would still like to lose another 14lbs over the next few months.
The approach I've used to lose weight
I had never tried a low-carb diet before 2007. I believed the bad press that they were dangerous and bad for you. I was so wrong. I had been obese all my life. I am now 57. I would struggle for months to stick to a low-fat, low-cal diet but within 6 months of getting to my goal weight I would be back where I started 60 or 70lbs overweight. Something inside me just triggered the weight gain and it seems completely out of my control. I now know my problem was hyperinsulimia. My body produces too much insulin when I eat carbs and that leads to weight gain, cravings and lethargy.
I started off with a book from OZ called the Easy Australian Diet which cut out the obvious carbs, all grains, potatoes, pumpkin, and found for the first time I was finally in control of what I put in my mouth and my weight started dropping.
I then got on to Amazon and ordered all the low carb books I could find. I figured this was something new for me that was actually working and I wanted to find out as much as I could about it. I bought all the Atkins books, South Beach, Carbohydrate Addict's, Protein Power, Dr Bernstein's, Neris and India Idiot Proof Diet and anything on Syndrome X or insulin resistance.
I know now this is a diet for life and I am happy about that. It is wonderful to be eating great food and to be able to face the scale. I have given away all my outsize clothes UK sizes 24 and 26 and am now fitting into UK size 14 USA size 10.
I have so much more energy and zest for life and a wardrobe full of nice clothes. I don't feel I have to apologize for being me any more!
I am now sticking mainly to the Atkins way of eating at home but sometimes use the SB or CA when eating out.
Tips and Tricks
- Give up or cut right down on milk. I was drinking half a pint a day and did not realize how many carb grams are in milk.
- Keep up your water intake. I drink 2 big glasses of lukewarm water on waking.
- Join a support group. http://lowcarbdiets.about.com
- Spread the word and don't let anyone tell you that Atkins is bad for you.
- More and more people are being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. This is the anti-diabetes diet.
- I know now I can never go back to cereal and milk for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch and I don't want to go back there again. My body is just unable to handle all the carbs I was eating.