Yield: 10 servings
- 1 medium head cauliflower, chopped or cut into florets (you can use a large head - just add an egg and a little more of the other ingredients)
- ¼ cup heavy cream*
- 1 tablespoon butter*
- 1 pinch nutmeg (about 1/8 teaspoon)
- optional - 2 to 4 Tablespoons Instant Mashers
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cup gruyere or cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 350° F.
1) Cook the cauliflower until fork-tender - either microwave with a small amount of water (covered), or steam.
2) Blend cauliflower with the cream, butter, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and Instant Mashers if you're using them. A stick blender works well, but you can use a regular blender or food processor. Adjust seasonings to taste. (Note: If you use a regular blender, let the mixture cool somewhat first. Warm ingredients are fine, but hot ones have the tendency to "explode" when blended with a lid on.)
4) Add eggs and blend. Mix or blend in 1 cup of the cheese.
5) Pour into a casserole or gratin dish, and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.
Bake about 30-40 minutes, until top is golden brown. Exact time will vary by the shape of the baking dish.
Nutritional Information: Each of 10 servings has 2 grams effective carbohydrate plus 1.5 grams fiber (3.5 grams total carbohydrate), 8 grams protein, and 134 calories.