Published by Rodale; October 2006;$25.00US/$32.00CAN; 1-59486-444-6
Copyright © 2006 Arthur, M.D. Agatston
Review of the South Beach Diet Parties and Holidays Cookbook
Hors d’Oeuvres for a CrowdFor 10 guests
- Smoked Trout Salad in Cherry Tomato Cups (recipe below)
- Spicy Citrus Shrimp (page 2)
- Deviled Eggs (page 2)
- Salmon Mousse (page 3)
- Parmesan Zucchini Sticks (page 3)
- Sweet Potato-Feta Rounds (page 4)
- Chocolate-Dipped Strawberries (page 4)
- Cannoli Tartlets (page 5)
- Raspberry-Ginger Fizzes (page 5)
Party Game Plan
Up to 3 days before: Toast walnuts and sesame seeds for strawberries.
Up to 2 days before: Hard-boil eggs.
Up to 1 day before: Make trout salad; marinate shrimp; make salmon mousse; cut up zucchini sticks; prepare cheese mixture for sweet potatoes; make cannoli filling; make raspberry-ginger fizz base.
Day of: Dip strawberries; grill shrimp; assemble deviled eggs; fill tomato cups and cannoli tartlets; bake sweet potato rounds and zucchini sticks; make fizzes
Smoked Trout Salad in Cherry Tomato CupsPrep Time: 20 minutes
Rich, smoky trout in little tomato “cups” makes a festive, easy-to-eat combination. You can use both red and yellow cherry tomatoes, if desired.
- ¼ pound smoked trout (remove skin if necessary)
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 30 large cherry tomatoes (1 pint)
- Chopped fresh chives for garnish (optional)
Using a serrated knife, cut 1/8 inch off the stem end of each tomato and a tiny bit off the bottom so the tomatoes will stand. Remove the seeds using a small melon baller. Fill each hollow tomato with a generous ½ teaspoon of the trout salad. Sprinkle each with a few chives, if using, and serve.
Makes 10 (3-piece) servings
Nutrition at a Glance
Per serving: 40 calories, 2 g fat, 0.5 g saturated fat, 3 g protein, 3 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 75 mg sodium
Make-Ahead: Trout salad can be made up to 1 day in advance; refrigerate in a covered container and bring to room temperature before using. Tomatoes can be hollowed out up to 1 hour before the party; cover with plastic wrap but do not refrigerate. Fill shortly before serving.
Reprinted from: The South Beach Diet Parties & Holidays Cookbook: Healthy Recipes for Entertaining Family And Friends by Arthur Agatston, MD © 2006 Arthur Agatston, M.D. Permission granted by Rodale, Inc., Emmaus, PA 18098. Available wherever books are sold or directly from the publisher by calling at (800) 848-4735.