- 1 medium onion (2 1/2 inches in diameter), chopped
- 2 large stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped carrot (you can use chopped pumpkin, if available)
- 1 heaping Tablespoon sweet paprika
- 3 teaspoons turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cinammon
- 1 bay leaf
- A little hot sauce
- 1 15 oz can tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large leaf of chard, about 1 and 1/2 cups - can use spinach or other dark leafy green - cut into thin strips
- 10 oz frozen green beans (or fresh)
- Salt and pepper
- 5 cups stock or broth (I like vegetable or chicken Better Than Boullion - but watch the saltiness)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
2. Add garlic and turn up the heat to medium. Cook for a minute or so and add the peppers and carrots. Cook another minute or two and add the spices. Stir and cook until fragrant -- another minute or so.
3. Add tomatoes and stock, and simmer for 15 minutes. Add frozen beans and chard and simmer for another 5 minutes or until the beans are cooked. If adding cooked cubed meat such as chicken or turkey, add at this time.
4. Adjust seasonings.
Nutritional Analysis: Makes approximately 9 cups of soup, each with 6 grams of effective carbohydrateplus 3 grams of fiber and 53 calories