- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic - chopped or pressed
- 1 Tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 Tablespoon coriander (ground seed)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 15-16 oz. can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth (can use bouillion)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar substitute
2. Add the pumpkin and one cup of liquid. Puree with stick blender, or in blender or food processor. When smooth, heat in pot with the rest of the liquid until simmering. Taste. Add a small amount of sweetener. Balance the flavors -- add a little hot sauce or a small amount of raw grated ginger if you want more of a kick. Add salt to taste if needed. Add a bit more sweetener if the flavors seem a little harsh.
3. Good garnishes included pumpkin seeds, bacon bits, or grated Parmesan or sharp cheddar cheese.
Makes about 5 one-cup servings.
Nutritional Information: Each serving has 9 grams effective carbohydrate plus 3.5 grams fiber, 3 grams protein, and 134 calories.