- 1 medium head cauliflower (about 4 cups/1 quart florets)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 medium stalk celery, minced (including leaves)
- ½ cup chopped green pepper
- 2 green onions, chopped (green and white parts)
- 3 tablespoons Carb Counters Instant Mashers (optional)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard (brown or yellow)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1-2 drops hot sauce or a pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1-2 teaspoons worth sugar substitute
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free pickle relish or dill relish, or chopped sugar-free pickle
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh herbs (optional, but good - see belo
2) Microwave florets in a covered container with a small amount of water, or steam on the stove. I've never tried boiling, but cauliflower tends to hold on to water, so I'm a little skeptical. You want them to be fork-tender (a fork slips in easily), but not overcooked (avoiding the stronger smell and flavor which develops with longer cooking).
3) Drain and put into a medium bowl. Chop the egg and add. Toss with salt and pepper. I like quite a bit of pepper, and it does seem to take a surprising amount of salt, but this would be to taste. Sprinkle in the Carb Counter Instant Mashers if you're using them, and toss again.
4) Mix the ingredients for the dressing (mayo, lemon juice, spices, etc.). Taste for the balance of flavors you like. Mix the chopped vegetables and the dressing into the cauliflower and egg mixture. Add chopped fresh herbs if you wish - chives, dill, or parsley work well, but I've even used mint for something different. Garnish with the herb, or sprinkle with paprika. Chill.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information: Each serving has 3 grams effective carbohydrate plus 1.5 grams fiber, 3 grams protein, and 99 calories.