- 3 cups cooked chopped chicken or turkey meat
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 2 Tablespoons oil or butter (or half of each)
- 1½ cup unsweetened soy milk (or see note below)
- ½ cup cream
- Flour or other thickener (see note below)
- Salt - start with 1/2 teaspoon, or 1 Tablespoon chicken or turkey soup base such as Better Than Bouillion
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup almond meal or low-carb bread crumbs
For spaghetti squash: Prepare a spaghetti squash and take out enough strands to pretty much fill the bottom of a 9 X 13 pan. I figured on 6 cups tightly packed, but I don't measure. This adds 6 grams of carbohydrate and 1 gram of fiber to the basic recipe.
For Shirataki Noodles: I used three packages of the spaghetti type shirataki noodles. Rinse well in a colander, and cut into pieces with scissors. Drain very well -- I even spread them on a paper towel to dry, though this might be overkill (they contain a lot of moisture). Tofu shirataki noodles add 3 grams of carbohydrate and 2 grams of fiber to each serving of the basic recipe. Put in 9 X 13 pan or other casserole dish. What Are Shirataki Noodles?
For Other Types of Noodles: Prepare according to package directions and add carb count to the basic recipe. Put in 9X13 pan or other casserole dish. Heat oven to 450 F.
1. Saute the onions in the oil or butter. Add the mushrooms and cook until they have given up most of their moisture. Add salt and pepper and stir.
2. If using flour for thickener, add it here, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add liquid and other thickeners, and bring to a simmer. Add the sherry, if desired.
3. Add the turkey, and bring back to a simmer. Mix with noodles or squash in casserole pan.
4. Sprinkle almond meal and cheese on top. Bake about 10 minutes, or until topping begins to brown.
Makes 8 average servings or 6 generous ones.
Nutritional Information: Each of 8 servings has 3.5 grams effective carbohydrate plus 1 gram fiber, 21 grams protein, and 232 calories. Be sure to add your pasta choice to these calculations.