Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- 4 eggs
- 1 and 1/2 cup milk, cream, unsweetened soy milk, or a combination (I use mostly soy milk with a little cream)
- 6 ounces or so smoked salmon
- 1 large leek, with white and light green parts sliced (about 1 cup of slices)
- 1 small red pepper, chopped (about half a cup)
- 4 oz raw mushrooms (wild or shitake are nice for this, but any will do)
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese - almost any kind or combo is fine, but not too much strong-flavored cheese such as parmesean
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- pinch of cayenne pepper or a bit of hot sauce
- paprika, salt, and pepper
2. Saute' leeks in a little olive oil. When they begin to soften, add mushrooms. After a minute or two, add the peppers. Add a little salt, and cook for 3-4 minutes. Just before taking off heat, add the thyme.
3. Meanwhile, crumble salmon in pie plate. Cover with vegetables when done, and then sprinkle with the cheese.
4. Also meanwhile, blend eggs, milk (or other), mustard, cayenne or hot sauce, salt (about 1/2 teaspoon, but less if salmon is salty), and pepper. You can use an eggbeater or whisk, but a blender works really well.
5. Pour the egg mixture over the rest of the ingredients, and sprinkle with paprika.
6. Bake for 35-50 minutes. Start checking after half an hour. If it's getting too brown but the middle is too liquid, cover with foil. When done, the center will still be a bit loose. Take it out of the oven or the rest will overcook. In 5 minutes, the center will be done from the heat of the rest of it.
Nutritional Analysis: Each of 6 servings has 2.5 grams effective carbohydrate plus 2 grams fiber, 18 grams protein, and 200 calories.