- 2 cups cooked chicken or turkey
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 small green pepper, chopped (about 3 oz)
- 1 small can of mushrooms or 4 to 6 oz fresh chopped mushrooms
- 2 Tablespoons oil or butter
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 Tablespoons flour or less flour and a low carb alternative, see note
- 1 cup milk or unsweetened soy or almond milk (carb count is for unsweetened soy or almond milk)
- ½ cup cream
- 1¼ cups chicken stock, or water with chicken Better than Bouillon or regular bouillon
- 1 4 oz jar chopped pimentos
- Salt if not using bouillon
1) Heat the oil or butter and saute' the onion for 2-3 minutes. Add the green pepper and mushrooms, and cook until softening. Add black pepper.
2) Add the flour, if using as a thickener. Cook for 2 minutes before adding liquids.
3) Add liquids. Add low-carb thickeners, and any flavorings such as Better than Bouillon. Add salt if needed. Bring to a simmer and cook for 3-4 minutes.
4) Add chicken/turkey and pimento. Heat through.
Nutritional Information: Using above recipe, each of 6 servings has 5 grams effective carbohydrate plus 1 grams fiber, 17 grams protein, and 237 calories. The flour adds 2 grams of carb per serving. If you use only flour (6 tablespoons) to thicken, it would add 4 additional grams per serving.