- 3 lbs sweet potatoes or yams (try to find ones that are about the same size)
- 1½ cups pecan pieces
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 5 Tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- Sugar substitute
1. Poke the sweet potatoes/yams several times with a sharp knife and roast at 400 F. until soft - about 45-60 minutes depending upon the size.
2. Make the topping - pulse 1 cup of the pecans in food processor or blender until it is ground into a meal. Add about 1/4 cup worth sugar substitute, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, a pinch of salt, and 2 Tablespoons of the butter and process until blended. Mix the rest of the pecan pieces in by hand.
3. Let the sweet potatoes cool for 10-15 minutes. Split them and remove the pulp. Put them into the food processor or blender (no need to wash between topping and sweet potatoes) and process with the rest of the butter (3 Tablespoons). Mashing with a potato masher is also fine, but the texture will be somewhat smoother if you blend/process. Add the rest of the seasonings (1 teaspoon cinnamon, the nutmeg, salt, and black pepper). The amount of sweetener you add will be up to your taste and the sweetness of the yams. When the seasonings are to your taste, add the egg and blend.
4. Put sweet potatoes in a buttered baking dish and sprinkle pecan topping over the top. Bake at 375 F. until the topping is browned.
Nutritional Information: Makes about 12 servings of about 1/2 cup each. Each serving has 20 grams effective carbohydrate plus 5 grams fiber, 4 grams protein, and 233 calories.