This can also be made with a 16-oz bag of chopped frozen spinach. Just use 10 oz or so of mushrooms and a little more cheese.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 10 oz package chopped frozen spinach (or a larger bag, see above)
- 1/2 C toasted pecan pieces (lightly toast in oven or on stove)
- 6-8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 C minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, pressed, or smashed
- 1/2 C grated cheese - at least some of it should be a hard cheese like Parmesan
- 1 C ricotta cheese
- Dry white wine - a little to deglaze and 1-2 T more
- 1/2 t black pepper
- Salt to taste
- A little nutmeg
2) Thaw and squeeze liquid out of the spinach, then add that in, too.
3) Cook onion in skillet in a little oil until beginning to soften.
4) Add mushrooms, and cook on medium high until most of the water is out of them and mushrooms are browning.
5) Deglaze the pan with white wine (Laura's Deglazing Tips)
6) Add garlic and seasonings and cook for a minute or so.
7) Add the contents of the pan and cheeses to the food processor and process. If there isn't enough liquid for the processor to do its thing (you hope), add the wine, a tablespoon at a time.
8) Now all that remains is to heat it through. Put it in a bowl or small casserole dish and either heat it in the microwave for a few minutes, or put in the oven at ~350 F. for 15 minutes or until the top browns.
Nutritional Information: Each of 6 servings has 4 grams effective carbohydrate plus 3 grams fiber, 11 grams protein, and 192 calories.