Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 12 oz bag cranberries - fresh or frozen
- 1 cup thinly sliced onions
- 1 small apple, chopped fairly fine, but not tiny (get a variety that doesn't turn mushy)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- pinch cloves
- 1 teaspoon mild dried mild chile (e.g. ancho), or a pinch of stronger chile (e.g. cayenne)
- ~1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar equivalent from artificial sweetener
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon oil
2. Add apples and spices. Stir and cook another minute, until spicy smell fills kitchen.
3. Add water and sweetener, and then the cranberries.
4. Cook until the cranberries all pop, stirring occasionally. This should be about 5 to 7 minutes. You may have to add a little more water if it starts to stick. You don't want to the cranberries to fully break down, as if you were making a sauce -- at least some of them should still be recognizable.
5. Add lime juice and stir. Taste (careful, it's hot) and adjust tartness/sweetness level by adding more sweetener and/or lime juice.
Makes 8 servings of ~1/4 cup, each with 3 grams of effective carbohydrate and 1.5 grams of fiber.