You can include whichever non-starchy vegetables you like.
Alfredo sauce varies slightly in the amount of carbohydrate per serving. Some labels say 2 grams per quarter cup and some say 3. I used 3 grams per quarter cup when figuring this recipe, to be on the safe side.
- 1½ lb. raw chicken breast (or 18-20 oz cooked)
- 1 Tablespoon oil for sauteing
- 1 medium bunch broccoli, cut into florets (can peel and chop stems also) - about 1½ lb.
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 1 small red Bell pepper, chopped
- 2 packages shirataki noodles (4 oz each) (can substitute other low-carb pasta)
- 1 15 oz. jar Alfredo sauce
- Optional small amount of hot sauce
- 4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
If you are cooking the chicken, it will go faster if you saute the onions, peppers, and mushrooms in a separate pan, and cook the broccoli in the microwave. If you don't want to mess up more pans, just do the following steps sequentially instead of at the same time.
1. Prepare broccoli and cook in microwave with a small amount of water.
2. Chop onion, and begin to saute' in one pan with half the oil.
3. Cut up chicken breast and cook in other pan.
4. Add mushrooms to onions and cook until beginning to shrink, then add chopped pepper.
5. Rinse shirataki noodles in hot water and cut up with scissors.
6. Combine all ingredients and serve.
Nutritional Information: Each of 5 servings has 14 grams effective carbohydrate plus 5 grams fiber (19 grams total carbohydrate), 41 grams protein, and 426 calories.