- 1¼ - 1½ pounds of zucchini
- salt - enough to lightly salt the zucchini - between ¼ and ½ teaspoon
- 1 lb. ground beef (can be made without the meat)
- 1 lb. ricotta cheese - whole milk preferred
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil or 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups jarred pasta sauce (any variety with no added sugars)
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded (not dried/powdered)
2. Put the zucchini strips into a colander and sprinkle the salt on them. Toss to coat. Put the colander over a bowl to catch the juice. After 10-15 minutes, toss the strips again so that the brine will more-or-less evenly coat the strips. Drain for at least an hour.
3. While the zucchini is dripping, cook the meat. Then, combine the ricotta, eggs, and basil or parsley.
4. Spread the zucchini strips on paper toweling or a cotton tea towel to take away most of the surface liquid.
AssemblyHeat the oven to 350 degrees F.
1. Put ½ cup of the pasta sauce into the bottom of a 9 X 13 pan, and combine the meat with the rest of the sauce.
2. Begin layering by covering the sauce with a layer of zucchini. Then cover the zucchini with about one third of the ricotta mixture, one third of the sauce, and one third of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat, only arrange the zucchini strips in the other direction, e.g. if in the first layer the strips are lined up along the length of the pan, for the next layer line them up across the width of the pan. Alternate again for the third layer. After the third layer, finish with the Parmesan cheese.
3. Bake until the cheese is golden brown, about 30 minutes. (Note, if you refrigerate the lasagna before baking, cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes covered, then remove the foil and cook an additional 30 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown.)
Makes 8 Servings.
Nutritional Information: Each serving has 8 grams effective carbohydrate plus 2 grams fiber (10 grams total carbohydrate), 25 grams protein, and 408 calories.
For Meatless Version: Each serving has 8 grams effective carbohydrate plus 2 grams fiber (10 grams total carbohydrate), 17 grams protein, and 242 calories.