- 1 Tablespoon plain gelatin powder with 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 C boiling water
- Artificial sweetener to equal a cup of sugar (zero carb sweetener such as liquid sucralose is best
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 egg whites
2. Add boiling water and stir to dissolve.
3. Add sweetener and lemon juice. Place uncovered in refrigerator to cool. Stir every 10 minutes or so, until it begins to thicken (this could take up to an hour). My mother's recipe says the spoon should "leave a trail" when you stir it, but if the mixture is obviously thickening, it works.
4. With mixer on high, beat gelatin mixture until fully frothy, 1 to 2 minutes. A whisk attachment helps. You can use a regular whisk, but be prepared for some arm exercise!
5. Add egg whites and beat until stiff (soft peaks are good enough if they hold their shape fairly well). This might be another 2 to 5 minutes, so keep checking. Leave in bowl or transfer to another bowl or mold. Refrigerate -- you can serve it any time, but it will set up well in about 15 minutes.
Serve with custard sauce, or defrost some frozen raspberries and sweeten to taste - this makes a nice sauce.
Nutritional Analysis:Each of 8 servings has (drum roll) about half a gram of carb and 11 calories. Raspberry sauce made from 1/4 cup frozen raspberries (no sugar added) adds 2 grams usable carbs and 2 grams fiber. Custard sauce adds about the same.