- 1 almond pie crust, baked (see link above)
- 1 quart (4 cups) fresh blackberries
- dash of salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 teaspoons corn starch
- 1 Tablespoon butter (optional, but recommended)
- Sugar substitute to taste - about 3/4 cup - liquid form of Splenda preferred*
- *for example, you could use 3/4 cup Da Vinci's Simple Syrup instead of water
2) Whisk cornstarch into mixture. Make sure it is fully dissolved. Cook until mixture darkens and clarifies (in other words, most of the lightness from the cornstarch goes away).
3) Add butter, and stir until melted. Add the rest of the berries, and stir until coated with the glaze.
4) Pour into baked shell and chill.
Makes 8 servings. Serving suggestion: top with whipped cream flavored with a bit of vanilla and sweetener. How to Make Whipped Cream
Nutritional Information: Each serving has 5.5 grams effective carbohydrate plus 6 grams fiber, 5 grams protein, and 189 calories.