- 3 egg yolks
- 3/4 milk and 1/4 cup cream or 1 cup milk
- 1/4 t vanilla
- 1/8 t salt
- Artificial sweetener to equal 2 T sugar
2) Add the vanilla, sweetener, and salt to the milk.
3) Beat the egg yolks. Add a little of the milk and mix well (this is called "tempering" the eggs so they don't cook). Repeat, adding a little more milk so you gradually bring the eggs up to temperature.
4) Put a small amount of water in the bottom of a double boiler or a pot on which you can put a bowl. Heat. The water should not touch the bottom of the bowl. Add milk and egg mixture and stir or whisk over hot/boiling water until mixture begins to thicken, then remove from heat and stir until it coats a spoon. Refrigerate.
Nutritional Analysis: Each of 8 servings (2-3 Tablespoons) has 1.5 grams of carb and 60 calories (less if you don't use the cream).