- 3 lbs skinless chicken thighs and/or legs (bone-in; if using boneless, 8 or 9 thighs)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 8 oz brown crimini or portobello mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (about 14 oz)
- 2/3 cup dry wine (white or red)
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning mixture, or 1 teaspoon each oregano, basil, and thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 inch of Parmesan cheese rind (optional)
2. Cook the onion and green pepper in a large skillet with a small amount of oil on high heat. After 2 to 3 minutes, add the mushrooms. Two minutes later, add the garlic. Cook for another minute.
3. Add the tomatoes, wine, herbs, and more salt and pepper. Boil for 5 to 10 minutes, until liquid is almost completely boiled away. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary. If it tastes harsh or acidic, add just a touch of sweetener (one drop of Sweetzfree can do the trick).
4. Add the tomato paste and Parmesan cheese rind, and stir to combine. Spoon ingredients onto the top of the chicken, and cook for 3 hours on high or 6 to 8 hours on low. About half an hour before you are ready to eat, check and adjust seasonings one more time.
Nutritional Information: Each of 6 servings has 10 grams effective carbohydrate plus 3 grams fiber, 20 grams protein, and 178 calories.