Carbohydrate and Fiber Counts for Turnips
- ½ cup raw turnip cubes: 3 grams effective (net) carbohydrate plus 1 gram fiber and 18 calories
- 1 medium turnip, a little over 4 oz (¼ lb): 6 grams effective (net) carbohydrate plus 2 grams fiber and 34 calories
- ½ cup cooked mashed turnip: 3.5 grams effective (net) carbohydrate plus 3 grams fiber and 25 calories
Glycemic Index for TurnipsNo studies of the glycemic index of turnips has been reported. There is one study of rutabagas, which are similar. The glycemic index for that study was 72.
Glycemic Load of Turnips
- ½ cup raw turnip cubes: 1
- 1 medium turnip, a little over 4 oz (¼ lb): 2
- ½ cup cooked mashed turnip: 1
Health Benefits of TurnipsTurnips are an excellent source of vitamin C, a very good source of fiber, and a good source of potassium, manganese, calcium, and vitamin B6.
More Information About Turnips at Calorie Count.
More Carb Profiles:
Leroux, MarcusFoster-Powell, Kaye, Holt, Susanna and Brand-Miller, Janette. "International table of glycemic index and glycemic load values: 2002." American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Vol. 76, No. 1, 5-56, (2002).
USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 21.