Carbohydrate and Fiber Counts for Onions
- ½ cup chopped raw onion: 6 grams effective (net) carbohydrate plus 1 gram fiber and 32 calories
- 1 medium onion (2.5" in diameter; about 4 oz.): 8 grams effective (net) carbohydrate plus 2 grams fiber and 44 calories
- 1 slice raw onion, 1/8 inch thick: 1 gram effective (net) carbohydrate and 6 calories
Glycemic Index for OnionsAs with most non-starchy vegetables, there is no scientific study of the glycemic index of onions However, some of the carbohydrate in onions is in the form of oligosaccharides, which would tend to lower the glycemic effect.
Estimated Glycemic Load of Onions
- ½ cup raw chopped onions: 2
- 1 medium onion (2.5" in diameter; about 4 oz.): 4
1 slice raw onion, 1/8 inch thick: 0
Health Benefits of OnionsOnions are a good source vitamin C and a very good source of chromium. They are also high in quercetin, and as mentioned above, oligosaccharides.
Onions have been thought to have many different types of health benefits. There are hints in animal and some human studies that they are heart-healthy and may have anti-diabetic properties, as well as promoting anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial activity in the body. The evidence is stronger that onions have an anti-cancer effect, particularly in regards to gastrointestinal cancers, including colon and stomach cancers.
Low-Carb Recipes with OnionsI would venture to say that most of my low-carb main dishes have at least a little onion in them. Here's a sampling of some of my recipes which include onion:
- Sugar-Free Cranberry Chutney
- Green Bean Casserole with Onion Topping
- Italian Squash Casserole
- Creamy Spicy Pumpkin Soup
- Denver Casserole
- Crockpot Ropa Vieja
- Crockpot Hungarian Goulash
- Chicken or Beef Fajitas
- Easy Thai Coconut Curry Chicken
- Cincinnati Chili
- Low-Carb Pasta with Chicken and Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- Turkey or Chicken Tetrazinni
More Information About Onions at Calorie Count Plus.More Carb Profiles:
Galeone C, Pelucchi C, Levi F, Negri E, Franceschi S, Talamini R, Giacosa A, La Vecchia C. Onion and garlic use and human cancer. Am J Clin Nutr. 2006 Nov;84(5):1027-32.
Leroux, MarcusFoster-Powell, Kaye, Holt, Susanna and Brand-Miller, Janette. "International table of glycemic index and glycemic load values: 2002." American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Vol. 76, No. 1, 5-56, (2002).