Mushroom caps are handy for stuffing. Raw mushrooms can hold spreads and dips, or they can be baked with other kinds of stuffings, such as seafood or cheeses mixed with herbs and spices.Carb Profile Page for Portabella Mushrooms
Carbohydrate and Fiber Counts for White (Button) Mushrooms
- ½ cup sliced or chopped raw white mushrooms: 1 gram effective (net) carbohydrate and 8 calories
- 1 medium white mushroom (3 medium mushrooms weigh about 2 oz): .5 gram effective (net) carbohydrate and 4 calories
- 4 oz mushroom (about 5 large mushrooms, 6 medium mushrooms, or 11 small mushrooms): 2.5 grams effective (net) carbohydrate plus 1 gram fiber and 25 calories
Glycemic Index for White MushroomsAs with most non-starchy vegetables, there is no scientific study of the glycemic index of mushrooms.
Estimated Glycemic Load of White Mushrooms
- ½ cup sliced mushroom: 1
- 1 medium mushroom: 0
- 4 oz mushroom (¼ lb.): 2
Health Benefits of White MushroomsWhite mushrooms are a very good source of copper, selenium, riboflavin, niacin, and panothenic acid, and a good source of potassium. They also have been found to have high levels of some antioxidant compounds that may help prevent some cancers.
Low-Carb Recipes with Mushrooms
- Mushrooms and Peppers with Wine and Herbs
- Simply Scrumptious Spinach
- Crustless Smoked Salmon, Leek, and Mushroom Quiche
- Skillet Chicken Divan
- Bacon and Egg Casserole
- Joe's Special, Laura Style
- Chicken Marsala
- Low-Carb Turkey or Chicken Tetrazinni
- Low-Carb Chicken ala King
Grube BJ, Eng ET, Kao YC, et al. White Button Mushroom Phytochemicals Inhibit Aromatase Activity and Breast Cancer Cell Proliferation. Journal of Nutrition 131(12):3288-93 (2001).
Leroux, Marcus, Foster-Powell, Kaye, Holt, Susanna and Brand-Miller, Janette. "International table of glycemic index and glycemic load values: 2002." American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Vol. 76, No. 1, 5-56, (2002).
Savoie JM, Minivielle N, Largeteau M. Radical-scavenging properties of extracts from the white button mushroom, Agaricus bisporus. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, epub: February 5, 2008