Carbohydrate and Fiber Counts for Blueberries
- ½ cup fresh blueberries: 9 grams effective (net) carbohydrate plus 2 grams fiber and 42 calories.
- ½ cup unsweetened unthawed frozen blueberries: 7 grams of carbohydrate plus 2 grams of fiber and 40 calories.
Glycemic Index for BlueberriesThere is no scienfic study of the glycemic index of blueberries available at this time.
Glycemic Load of Blueberries
- ½ cup of fresh blueberries is estimated by some experts to have a glycemic load of 3.
Health Benefits of BlueberriesBlackberries are a good source of vitamin C, vitamin K, and manganese. They also provide high amounts antioxidant compounds, which may help protect our cells from damage. There is some evidence of reduced cancer and heart disease risk from blueberries. More About the Health Benefits of Berries, and Serving Suggestions
Low-Carb Recipes With Blueberries
- Low-Carb Blueberry Muffins
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
- Blueberry Almond Breakfast Pudding
- Berry Syrup
More Information About Blueberries at Calorie Count Plus.More Carb Profiles:
Leroux, Marcus Foster-Powell, Kaye, Holt, Susanna and Brand-Miller, Janette. "International table of glycemic index and glycemic load values: 2002." American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Vol. 76, No. 1, 5-56, (2002).
Seeram, NP. "Berry fruits for cancer prevention: current status and future prospects.." Journal of agricultural and food chemistry. 56(3):630-5. (2008).