- 8 oz. unsweetened chocolate squares (see update note)
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter (no sugar added)
- 3/4 - 1 cup erythritol
- 1 cup (or to taste) sugar-equivalent of other zero-carb sugar substitute such as liquid sucralose
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch salt
A word on the sweetener. I have tried different combinations of sweeteners, including Splenda (sucralose) packets, concentrated liquid sucralose (Sweetzfree or EZ-Sweetz), and powdered erythritol (not granulated). I had the best results using the powdered erythritol and liquid sucralose. I have found that with chocolate, using artificial sweeteners with no sugar alcohols produces only an "OK" result. Adding a low glycemic sugar alcohol (not maltitol) improves the flavor and texture when working with unsweetened chocolate.
1) Melt the chocolate. I like to pour boiling water over it, let it sit for 5 to 6 minutes, and then pour the water off. That way I know I won't burn the chocolate.
2) Mix in the rest of the ingredients, adjusting sweetener to taste.
3) Pack or spread into a loaf pan. Cool to room temperature, or you can put it in the refrigerator. Cut into 18 pieces and serve.
Nutritional Information: Each serving has 3 grams effective carbohydrate plus 3 grams fiber, 5 grams protein, and 146 calories.