Yield: 8 servings
- one almond pie crust
- 10 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- zero-carb sugar substitute (such as liquid sucralose) equal to about ½ cup sugar (or to taste)
- 1 cup heavy cream
2. Combine cream cheese, vanilla, lemon juice, and sugar substitute very well. If you are using an electric mixer, fluff it up for a minute or two.
3. In a second bowl (if you have only one bowl for a stand mixer, just transfer the cream cheese and use the mixer again for this step), whip the cream to soft peaks - you actually want it slightly less beaten than you would for a dessert topping. (Tips for making homemade whipped cream.)
4. Mix about a third of the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture. Then gently mix another third in, and then the rest.
5. Spread cream cheese mixture into crust. Smooth off and chill for at least 2-3 hours. Cover with topping and serve.
Crustless option: Chill cream cheese mixture in bowl, then serve in individual dishes with topping.
Lower-calorie options: Use low-fat or fat-free cream cheese (add an extra gram or two of carb), and/or nix the crust.
Nutritional Information: With crust, without topping: Each of 8 servings has 3.5 grams effective carbohydrate plus 2 grams fiber (6 grams total carbohydrate), 7 grams protein, and 370 calories. Without crust or topping: 2 grams carbohydrate (no fiber), 3 grams protein, and 230 calories.
Carb Profiles of Fruit for topping: