Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 cup flax meal
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 T baking powder
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 and 1/4 t nutmeg
- 1 t cinnamon
- Artificial sweetener - 1 cup equivalent - zero carb (such as liquid) preferred
- 1/2 cup (I stick) butter, melted
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup plus 2 T water
- 1/2 cup equivalent powdered artificial sweetener
- 2 t cinnamon
- 2 T melted butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F; butter muffin pans.
2. Mix dry ingredients well (exclude those used for topping).
3. Add beaten eggs, melted butter, water, and sweetener to the dry mixture. Mix well.
4. Fill muffin cups a bit more than half way with the mixture.
5. Bake for about 20 minutes, until tops are golden brown. Allow muffins to cool in pan for a few minutes, then remove.
6. Mix the cinnamon and powdered sweetener for the topping in a clean bowl.
7. When the muffins are cool enough to handle, dip the tops in the melted butter you allocated for the topping, followed by the sweetener/cinnamon mixture.
Each muffin has 1.5 gram effective carbohydrate plus 4 grams fiber. (This is assuming half a gram of carb for the topping.)
Buttermilk Version: Switch out 1/2 cup buttermilk for the same amount of water. Substitute 1 teaspoon baking soda and 1 teaspoon baking powder for the baking powder in the regular recipe. This variation adds half a gram of carb to each muffin.