- 3 eggs (room temperature - important)
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sugar substitute equivalent (liquid preferred)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2-5 Tablespoons water (see below)
- ½ cup raspberries or blueberries
1) Whisk or beat the eggs until whites and yolks are well-mixed. Stream in the butter while continuing to whisk. Add salt and vanilla and mix until combined. If using liquid sweetener (preferred, as it is zero carb), add at this point.
2) Mix the remaining dry ingredients -- coconut flour, baking soda, and sweetener if using powder.
3) Mix the dry and wet ingredients together. Now you will whisk in water, one tablespoon at a time. The coconut flour will absorb the liquid from the wet ingredients like crazy. You want to get it to a consistency that will hold up the berries, but not be too thick. I usually end up using about 4 Tablespoons of water.
4) Gently mix in the berries and divide among 6 muffin cups. Bake for about 15 to 18 minutes, or until just turning golden on top.
Nutritional Information (using raspberries, zero carb sweetener, and an average of three available coconut flours): Each muffin has 2 grams effective carbohydrate plus 3.5 grams fiber, 4 grams protein, and 132 calories.