Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 cup whole fresh cranberries
- 1 1/4 cup flax seed meal (can easily grind your own)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup sugar-free syrup such as Da Vinci's or Torinis or 1/2 C sugar equivalent from from your choice of artificial sweetener (if powdered, dissolve in 1/2 cup water)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional for topping)
Liberally butter muffin tins. Makes anywhere from 12 to 24 muffins. Do not use paper muffin liners - they will stick.
1. Pour boiling water over cranberries. Let sit for 5 minutes and pour off water.
2. Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients (minus the cranberries) separately, then mix them together.
3. Let mixture stand for 10 minutes to thicken.
4. Fold in cranberries.
5. Fill each muffin cup about half way, and sprinkle with nuts.
6. Bake about 15 minutes (a little longer if you're only making 12) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Keep up to a week in the refrigerator or 3 months in the freezer.
For 12 muffins: Assuming a zero-carb sweetener, each muffin has 2 grams effective carbohydrate plus 6 grams fiber and 6 grams protein.