- 3 lbs pork shoulder, trimmed of fat and cut into ~1½-inch cubes (have the butcher do this)
- Optional: up to ¼ of the meat can be ham, for a smokier taste
- 2 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 2 medium red Bell peppers, chopped
- 6 medium stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 6 Tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon hot Hungarian Paprika, or ½ teaspoon hot red pepper
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- Salt and pepper
2. Saute the vegetables in a skillet over high heat for 3 to 5 minutes to remove some moisture. Remove from heat, and add the rest of the ingredients and combine well. Spoon into crockpot over the meat.
3. Cook for 3 hours on high, or 6 to 8 hours on low. About half an hour before serving, taste and adjust seasonings.
Nutritional Information: Each of 10 servings has 5 grams effective carbohydrate plus 3 grams fiber, 28 grams protein, and 241 calories.