1. Health

Laura Dolson

Low-Carb Fast Food

By September 10, 2008

driveYou're out doing errands, and it's taking a lot longer than you thought. Or maybe you had to work late. Suddenly, you realize you're ravenous, and a local fast food drive-through beckons. Is there any way to drive out the other side with a low-carb meal? Although I'm not recommending it as a regular thing, the answer is yes. But you have to be careful! I've been going through a lot of menus and checking out the food at some fast food restaurants recently so I can make some recommendations to help you find things to eat that won't send your blood sugar up.

Eating Low-Carb At These Restaurants:
Links to Carb Info at Fast Food Chains:
Photo © Robert Robinson
Forum | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter & RSS
Comments
September 10, 2008 at 11:16 pm
(1) Arlo says:

This is one of the hardest things I find. It’s so hard to just grab “a quick bite” if you’ve been lazy/busy and haven’t prepared a meal to take into work or whatever. Also, for road trips… lunch is the worst!

If I can find somewhere that has a chicken salad and some low-carb dressing, I can settle for that!

November 20, 2008 at 6:04 pm
(2) Dustin says:

Thanks for the excellent and up to date resource. I wish about.com was always this accurate and helpful.

January 21, 2010 at 6:51 pm
(3) Becky says:

Also try KFC’s grilled chicken (0 carbs), Popeye’s naked chicken strips (0 carbs), chic-fi-la’s chargrilled salad without the tomatoes and carrots, or wingstop (plain/lemon pepper 0 carbs, garlic parmesan 2 carbs, original 5 carbs(?) and mild 8 carbs(?)). Also, avoid ALL low-fat salad dressing; low-fat means they dumped TONS of sugar into it because it tastes so bad. Try regular ranch or oil & vinegar.

April 12, 2011 at 11:45 am
(4) Jay says:

Try ordering you sandwich with a wrap of lettuce leaves instead of the bun. Hardees marketed this for a while and usually is able to accomodate. I’ve made this special request at other restraunts with some success. You’ll need a couple extra napkins though!

March 19, 2012 at 12:00 pm
(5) Lynn says:

As a vegetarian, it’s tough to find the low carb fast food, and still get protein. Any suggestions?

July 11, 2012 at 11:23 am
(6) John says:

Yeah, don’t be a vegetarian.

July 11, 2012 at 12:11 pm
(7) Debra Ratterree says:

Quick, easy and big satisfier for me: Double meat whataburger with cheese, no bun. Also El Regio chicken with green sauce (they charge less when you cut the rice, beans and tortillas)

February 22, 2013 at 6:50 pm
(8) dave says:

a McDonalds,I just ask for two hamburgers with lettuce, tomato, pickes and onions with NO BUN. They charge more for the lettuce and tomato but its filling.