1. Health

Once in awhile someone will ask why their low carb diet isn't working as well as they think it should. One of the first questions I ask is whether they are eating products with a lot of sugar alcohols such as maltitol. This one ingredient has been known to stall many a well-intentioned dieter. Before you reach for another "low carb" candy bar, be sure to read this.

Related Resources:
Comments
July 25, 2008 at 3:26 pm
(1) Tom Wilkie says:

many items that say sugar-free use maltitol. Why are these not recommended fo a diabetic,and what are the alternatives? I like cookies and crackers, but most have maltitol. Can you help me? Thanks Tom.

March 23, 2009 at 3:54 pm
(2) Annie says:

Why shouldn’t diabetics eat food with maltitol. I love chocolates any way I can get them but most of the diabetic chocolates cause me stomach problems. What is the highest sugar gram a diabetic should eat. I sometime eat a chocolate with real sugar, just a small piece with about 4 to 7 grams. Is this o.k.

July 6, 2009 at 3:06 am
(3) Meg says:

People with Diabetes need to count their carbs, talk to a Dietician and find out what your total amount of carbs should be per day. Grams of sugar are not what Diabetics count. Its the carbs. Yes, Maltitol does give you gas and diarrhea, so like with anything, moderation is the key.

November 25, 2009 at 9:36 pm
(4) Darrell says:

Maltitol has a GI that is dangerously close to sugars’. Is it better? Absolutely. Is it “safe”? No. It has approximately 75% the blood-sugar impact of sugar, but only 75% of the sweetness, so food manufacturers either use more, or bundle it with artificial sweeteners (NONE of which are safe for human consumption. Use google for more info).

March 10, 2010 at 3:31 pm
(5) Brit says:

I think if you’re going to write an article about something you should first present all the facts and do it accurately. This article is obviously written by someone who has an agenda. What’s yours Laura?

March 10, 2010 at 6:11 pm
(6) lowcarbdiets says:

Which facts do you think I left out? (The article is several years old, but I don’t think much has changed.)

My agendas: Relief from distress and prevention of disease, in the ways that these are related to carbohydrate of various types in the diet.

December 21, 2011 at 4:37 pm
(7) Agenda 21 says:

Thanks Laura… I have been spoiled by buying home made pies “unsweetened” from a local Farmers Market. NO SWEETENERS at all in the brand, now the Farmers Markets are all closed for winter, and I am searching for a similar substitute. Just went to Hannaford and found a “No Sugar Added” brand Pie. Bummer, it had in the ingredients “Maltitol” and now I am back searching for something without any sweeteners at all… — fruits in pies have their own natural ‘fructose’ sweetened — not easy in this sweetness junkie world.

Anyone know where to buy UN as in UNSWEETENED Pies? :+{

Peaceful HoliDAZE all

December 22, 2011 at 10:59 am
(8) lowcarbdiets says:

I’m sorry, Agenda, I don’t know any sources, but if you come across any, let us know!

January 14, 2012 at 6:42 pm
(9) Quantumsense says:

I think Laura’s agenda was to make paranoid people like Brit hostile and realize the human condition needs help. There is a lot of information out there with pro’s and con’s.
Personally this sugar alcohol gives me gastric disturbances, but then so do hostile accusatory people who take out their frustrations on unsuspecting people who don’t see things their way. *sigh*

February 8, 2012 at 9:42 am
(10) celiacsufferer says:

Hi Laura,
I really appreciate your “agenda”! I often get diarrhea from eating gluten, so thought that was the problem after eating chocolate with Maltitol.

It help a lot to know that Maltitol was the cause of the diarrhea, not gluten.

Thanks

February 15, 2012 at 7:02 pm
(11) Earl says:

wow….kinda have to agree with the ‘agenda’ person. Fact-Malitol is better for you than sugar when used in similiar amounts. Fact-Malitol can act as a laxative if consumed excessively. See … it doesnt have to be complicated and you don’t have to look for a boogie-man under every bed. ;0. JUST THE FACTS PLEASE